Extracurriculars Still Matter for High School Students
photo courtesy of Byram HIlls High School Facebook page.
Summer is a great time to get involved with extracurricular activities, a crucial piece of the college application!
There are 3 components that are valued by the most selective colleges:
- Metrics – GPA, Rigor, SAT/ACT, Recommendations
- Main Character Essays and College Specific Supplements
- Extracurricular Activities
- School-Sponsored Extracurriculars – Sports, Clubs, Theater, Dance, Debate, Model UN, Band/Orchestra, Math, Chess, Robotics, Science Research, Newspaper, Yearbook, etc.
- Other Extracurriculars that are local, but outside of school—volunteer, work, internships, summer courses, research, starting something (business, non-profit or for profit), working on a political campaign.
For rising HS Seniors, summer is the time to start college applications and look back and compile their high school year extracurricular activities. And this time is not wasted as most colleges weigh extracurriculars as a key factor in their college decision. In fact, most colleges look for student involvement in activities through a lens of longevity and leadership.